1) How much does it cost to replace a home's A/C compressor?
The price varies. But replacing a compressor usually costs from $1,495 to $3,495.
2) Why does the price to replace a home's A/C compressor vary?
The prices vary depending on these factors:
- Size of your air conditioner: A/C sizes range from 1 to 5 tons. Larger A/Cs require a larger, more expensive compressor.
- Type of compressor: A single-stage compressor costs less than a two-stage compressor, which allows the A/C to run at a more energy efficient "low" setting on mildly hot days.
- Warranty: If your A/C's manufacturer warranty still covers the compressor, that will lower the cost of replacing it significantly.
3) Should I just purchase a new air conditioner instead of replacing the compressor?
That depends on a combination of factors:
- How old is the A/C? If it's 14+ years old, then consider replacing the entire A/C system since that's the typical lifespan of a central air conditioner.
- Is your manufacturer warranty still valid? If it is, then it makes more sense to replace the compressor as it will be much more affordable compared to getting a new A/C. Of course, balance this factor with the age of your A/C.
- How long are you going to stay in your home? If you're moving out in a few years, then you may not want to invest in a brand new A/C. Therefore, it makes sense to consider replacing the A/C compressor instead. However, some may consider a brand new A/C an excellent selling feature. So weigh your options carefully.
See A/C installation details